Sunday, February 3, 2008

Be Careful What You Ask For...

I'm not a preacher, but the sermon running through my head as I drove to work today was unmistakably genuine. I wish I had a recorder in my head that allowed me to play it back and share it with others, but sometimes those type of sermons are meant just for you(me), whoever they come to.

As I talked to the Lord, while driving to work, He reminded me of something He said that expanded on what I talked about earlier this morning (yesterday actually, since it's the waning hours already).

Luke 11 records the Lord's Prayer, then afterwards says:

"11If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

12
Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

13If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

What father doesn't want what's best for his child? Sometimes the child asks for things that he does not need. But if a child asks for something that he obviously needs; clothes, food, help; what father wouldn't give it? What father would give a stone, or a serpent??! The child of God needs things in their spiritual life that God will absolutely NOT deny His child. Take Solomon, who asked for Wisdom. God didn't make Solomon the dumbest man alive! He gave him what he asked for, and so much more. I have personally asked God for wisdom, and, although I am not Solomon, I can tell you I am all the wiser for it.

When God's child asks to be closer to his Father, God Will Give it to him. When he asks for peace, God will answer. When he asks God to help him do God's will, why would God NOT do this? When we seek His face, God promises to be there.
"8When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

9Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation." - Psalm 27:8-9

What I can say is this; that if you will ask God to make himself real to you today as I did on my way to work, I promise at some point in the day, he will do it.

God sent a friend of mine along today, that I hadn't seen in a few years. Turns out this friend got right with the Lord and is now studying to go into full time ministry. The change I saw in his life reminded me SO much of how far the Lord had brought me in my own life these last 18 months. I felt tears of joy welling up, as our conversation went along, and God kept poking at me saying.. "See.. SEE.. I told you I'd do it. All you need to do is just ask."

God just wants us to Ask. But few of us as Christians are looking for the answer when he gives it. What joy I find when I pray expecting an answer, then wait on him to send it.

Brad: Thanks for listening to the Lord.

No comments: