Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember 9-11


What did you do to remember 9/11/01 today?

As I was sitting here thinking about what I did today, I happened to notice MSNBC running its anual "9/11 As It Happened" special. I started wondering what if I turned the channel, what else was on? But instead I forced myself to watch the planes slamming into the world trade center buildings.

At first it was mind numbing as this happened 7 years ago, but eventually the reality of that fateful day began to return. I began to remember why my brother went to Iraq twice, and why friends from church have been, and are currently in Afghanistan fighting against the very people who brought 9/11 to our doorstep.

I watched as the towers leaned to one side, then slowly gave way to the devastation that had been dealt to their structure. And the horror in the voices of the people reporting the event not that long ago, brought back the memories of where I was on that day.

I was at work at my restaurant in South Carolina, when every customer who walked into the restaurant could hardly believe the stories that were coming across the radio and television. It felt like a hoax to the magnitude of a modern day War of the Worlds.

When asked how to best remember 9/11 in a television interview today, Senator John McCain said the best way to remember was to serve our country. How deep is that statement coming from a decorated war veteran, who has fought for our country and the freedoms we have today.

I say that the best way to remember, is to never LET yourself forget!

No comments: